I drew up a short list of the functions needed and then had a look around to see if anything ticks all the boxes.
The requirements are:
1. View and Listen to the baby on devices we already own
- This includes iOS devices such as the iPad, iPhone and Apple TV2
- I have an O2 Joggler Picture Frame which I bought for doing other things with - this would be ideal
- I'm not planning to be a bad parent (honest), but i travel a lot for work do being able to virtually peek my head around the door and check in on the little might would be a bonus.
- Unlike many of my hacks; it shouldn't require specific knowledge or constant pampering to operate, it should just work.
- We don't want to have a maze of wires and dongles floating around - it needs to be self contained
- The last thing we want is guests to see the good lady breastfeeding before popping the little mite to bed; there needs to be an easy way to turn of the video and audio and for it to automatically restart should we forget to turn it back on
- Ideally, the other monitoring; i.e. temperature and volume should continue to be monitored
I then started to look around the market for an IP camera which could be modified to meet our requirements. Having had some experience with embedded devices (such as linksys routers, gumstix and pogoplugs) I thought it would be relatively trivial to enhance something out there based on an opensource Linux platform.